Principal Digital Product Designer
As a principal digital product designer at Substantial, you'll be part of part of a nimble and effective organization, leading or aiding project teams in building digital products for any business vertical at any stage of business need, from private to public; non-profit, start-up, small business, or enterprise.
You and your teams will encounter moments of ambiguity, complexity, and complication and you'll find success in guiding teams in those moments to clarity and in seeing them repeat the process without your guidance. At times, you will contribute to the code, design, strategy, or business. Other times, you will be a facilitator for other people's ideas and mediator for many parties.
You are in an industry with many technological changes, market shifts, and a culture of its own. Your mission is to learn and to teach how we can build products that define market expectations.
What You’ll Do:
In your day-to-day you will:
- Be a holistic design leader: Beyond the immediate needs of a product and its experience, you understand the relationship between the needs of a client, their business, and our own. Collaborating with your teams, you identify and translate a holistic picture of product, experience, and business into day-to-day direction and long term plans to guide teams, while also jumping in to deliver the work with constant enthusiasm and without ego.
- Uplevel company services: Seeing every moment as an opportunity to educate and display the power of design, you push forward the awareness and capabilities of design at Substantial by learning and teaching how we can build products that define market expectations. You inform company-wide design practices that improve project accountability, close problem-solving gaps, and guide teams to build responsibly.
- Directly contribute to the success of company business goals: Own and drive defined quarterly leadership initiatives aligned with company business goals.
- Lead and contribute objective design: Produce, explain, and hold accountability for design decisions and deliverables crafted by you and your team using validated data and design principles.
- Act with ambition and authenticity: Collaborate with your project teams and department executives on how to improve your skills, advance your project’s success, and contribute to the company. No resting on your laurels - you’ll be constantly tackling situations of ambiguity and figuring out how to keep yourself and your work moving forward.
- Be an active community leader: Articulate a strong and clear design voice and participate and engage with the Seattle and Substantial community to drive design understanding, expand presence, and bring improvements to our teams through day-to-day collaboration, events participation, publication, or other community participation.
In your past you have:
- Mentored colleagues
- Led a project to completion, from kickoff to launch
- Understood, analyzed, and applied first-hand or second-hand research to product decisions
- Solved complex experience problems
- Proposed designs appropriate to the problem and project budget
- Aligned colleagues and clients on project or product goals
- Communicated with clarity
- Collaborated with enthusiasm, enlivening your colleagues with their ideas
- Developed or contributed to organizational initiatives
- Proposed and delivered creative concepts in marketing or branding
- Modeled recognition within teams
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience in a client services or agency environment
- Proven experience leading teams and mentoring other designers in previous roles
- Experience or familiarity solving problems across multiple technology platforms (eg. browsers, applications, operating systems, mobile and connected devices, other hardware)
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, and prototyping tools
- Understanding of development practices and experience directly collaborating with development teams
- Strong communication, client services, and interpersonal skills
- Fierce passion for collaboration and growing with others
Substantial is a Seattle-based digital product studio. We build experiences to empower and connect people through the web, mobile, and connected devices. Our work ranges from mobile apps to large, embedded multi-touch installations for Fortune 500s, startups, social impact organizations, and local to global brands. No matter what we’re focused on, the products we build go beyond just development and design – we’re here to solve problems, create responsibly, and build relationships.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We offer a comprehensive set of benefits designed to help you do your best work and support your life in & out of the office.
- Generous PTO policy
- Education Benefit
- Commuter Benefits
- Flexible Working
- A Happy Workplace (vibrant Capitol Hill location with great people, a fully stocked kitchen, free yoga and other perks)